Office:Advanced Research Institute, NCR
Mailing Address:Virginia Tech Research Center - Arlington
900 N. Glebe Road
Arlington, VA 22203
Title:Joseph Loring Professor
Affiliated Research Group:
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1978M.S., Electrical Engineering, State Univ. of New York, 1975B.Sc., Electrical Engineering, Bangladesh Univ. of Engineering & Technology, 1973
Smart Grid, Critical infrastructures, Alternate energy, Environmental studies
Alternate energy, Smart grid, Critical infrastructure assessment and modeling, Uncertainty evaluation, Environmental impacts
Grants and Projects:
- “Partnerships for Innovation: Role of the Smart Grid in Alleviating Electrical Power System Stress Conditions Through Demand Response”, NSF, PI – S. Rahman, co-PIs – J. Bohland and M. Pipattanasomporn, Sep 2011 – Aug 2013.
- “US-Egypt Cooperative Research: Managing Grid Integration of Large-Scale Wind Power Parks using Energy Storage Technology and Demand Response “, PI – S. Rahman, Funding agency: National Science Foundation, Grant no. 11-04023, (August 2011 - July 2015).
- “Qatar Power System Transition to a Smart Grid”, Sponsored by Qatar Foundation/Qatar University, PI – S. Rahman, (January 2014 - October 2016).
- “Building Energy Management Open Source Software Development (BEMOSS)”, PI – S. Rahman, co-PI – M. Pipattanasomporn, Sponsored by U.S. Department of Energy,(November 2013 - January 2017).
- “NRT-DESE: UrbComp: Data Science for Modeling, Understanding and Advancing Urban Populations”, PI - Naren Ramakrishnan, co-PI – S. Rahman and others, Funding agency: National Science Foundation, Grant no. DGE 154362,(September 2015 - August 2020).
- Title: A Peak-load Reduction Computing Tool Sensitive to Commercial Building Environmental PreferencesAuthor(s): F. Sehar, M. Pipattanasomporn, and Saifur RahmanJournal: Applied Energy, 279-289, January, 2016
- Title: A Framework for Vulnerability Assessment of Communication Systems for Electric Power GridsAuthor(s): Qi Wang, M. Pipattanasomporn, M. Kuzlu, Yi Tang, Yang Li, and Saifur RahmanJournal: IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, 477-486, February, 2016
- Title: An Energy Management Model to Study Energy and Peak Power Savings from PV and Storage in Demand Responsive BuildingsAuthor(s): F. Sehar, M. Pipattanasomporn, and Saifur RahmanJournal: Applied Energy, 406-417, July, 2016
- Title: A Frequency Regulation Framework for Hydro Plants to Mitigate Wind Penetration ChallengesAuthor(s): J. Zou, M. Pipattanasomporn, Saifur Rahman and X. LaiJournal: IEEE Trans. on Sustainable Energy, 1583-1591, October, 2016
- Title: Enabling Residential Demand Response Applications with ZigBee-based Load Controller Systems Optimum Voice-Data CoverageAuthor(s): A. Saha, M. Kuzlu, M. Pipattanasomporn, and Saifur RahmanJournal: Journal of Intelligent Industrial Systems, 318-333, December, 2016
- Title: Restoration in Distribution Systems to Reduce Financial Losses Related to Process TripsAuthor(s): Juan C. Cebrian, Saifur Rahman, and Nelson KeganJournal: IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, 219-227, January, 2017
- Title: Distribution Voltage Regulation through Active Power Curtailment with PV Inverters and Solar Generation ForecastsAuthor(s): S. Ghosh, Saifur Rahman, and M. PipattanasompornJournal: IEEE Trans. on Sustainable Energy, 13-22, January, 2017
- Title: Integrated Automation for Optimal Demand Management in Commercial Buildings Considering Occupant ComfortAuthor(s): F. Sehar, M. Pipattanasomporn, and Saifur RahmanJournal: Elsevier Journal of Sustainable Cities and Society, 16-29, January, 2017
- Title: Demand Management to Mitigate Impacts of Plug-in Electric Vehicle Fast Charge in Buildings with RenewablesAuthor(s): F. Sehar, M. Pipattanasomporn, and Saifur RahmanJournal: Energy, 642-651, February, 2017
- Title: Internet-based Communication Platform for Residential Demand Response ProgramsAuthor(s): M. Kuzlu, Md Moshiur Rahman, M. Pipattanasomporn, and Saifur RahmanJournal: IET Networks, 25-31, January, 2017