Students wishing to declare their Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering major should complete the Change of Major Application through HokieSpa during a Change of Major period.
When a change of major period opens, students may request a new primary major. Students enter the ECE Department with a primary major of Electrical Engineering (EE) or Computer Engineering (CPE). ECE students must successfully complete ECE 2014 Engineering Professionalism with a C- or better or ECE 2804 Integrated Design Project with a C or better before they are eligible to apply for an ECE major.
- Log into HokieSpa
- select "Change of Major Application (Undergraduate)" at the top of the menu.
Change of Major Tutorial
You may change your major during a set of dates at the end of fall, spring, and summer. You may find this information on the Office of the University Registrar’s website.
|Electrical Engineering||Computer Engineering|
|Electrical Engineering (general)||Computer Engineering (general)|
|Communications & Networking||Chip-Scale Integration|
|Controls, Robotics, & Autonomy||Controls, Robotics, & Autonomy|
|Energy & Power Electronic Systems||Machine Learning|
|Micro-Nanosystems||Networking & Cybersecurity|
|Radio Frequency & Microwave|
COMING FALL 2023: Applied Electromagnetics
This new ECE major combines the areas of space systems, radio frequency/microwave, and photonics for a comprehensive and well-rounded understanding of these electrical engineering fields. This major will only be available to students who enter Virginia Tech Fall 2023 or after and is not available to current students. Contact your advisor for more information.
5. I changed my major to Electrical Engineering (EE) when I was admitted to the ECE Department from General Engineering. If I do not choose an ECE major, will one be chosen for me?
No, Students that do not chose an Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering major, will graduate with the general EE or CPE degree.
6. I want to major in two different majors within the same degree. For example, CPE-Machine Learning and CPE- Networking and CyberSecurity. Is this possible?
7. I want to major in an EE major and a CPE major. For example, EE-Communication & Networking and CPE- Machine Learning. Is this possible?
Yes, you may major in an EE and CPE major because you are seeking majors in two separate degree programs.
8. I am a current ECE student. Do I need to have a minimum GPA in order to change my major from the general EE or CPE to one of the ECE majors?
No, if you are a current ECE student, you are not required to have a specific GPA in order to change your major.