ECE Service to Industry
As part of a land-grant university, the ECE department has a long tradition of technology transfer and strong ties to industry. ECE is committed to providing:
- Highly qualified engineers
- Ongoing education for practicing engineers
- The technology, expertise, and resources to support industrial endeavors
Tapping ECE Expertise & Technology
About 35% of ECE research funding is industry-based — which speaks of the close relationship many of our researchers have with industrial issues.
Short-Term & Long-Term Problems
Our expertise is applied to theoretical and practical problems: some that take just a few weeks to solve and others that require new theory or technology that can take much longer.
Whether you need a custom research program or a quick consulting project, the best place to start is with the experts in the area. Please see the ECE faculty list by area and the area research information. Another source is the Virginia Tech expertise database.
Accessing ECE Labs & Equipment
Many of our laboratories operate specialized equipment, and can be contracted to make measurements for business and government organizations. With most laboratories, this is done via research contracts, however, some research groups offer a formal measurement service. Please contact the laboratory directors to make arrangements.
College of Engineering Corporate & Foundation Relations
Corporate and foundation relations are built through strategic partnerships between faculty members and the private sector for academic advancement, research, recruitment, outreach, and philanthropy. These connections are handled through LINK: Center for Advancing Industry Partnerships - Where Breakthroughs Break Through.
How to Find the Best-Fit VT ECE Graduates
- Check with VT Career Services for recruiting opportunities
- Talk to ECE professors in your area of expertise
- Give a corporate information session through the IEEE student branch and meet with students informally. You can email the IEEE student branch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Give a technical presentation at one of the regular ECE area seminars
- Post your position on the VT IEEE job board
- Come visit!
Donating Equipment, Materials, & Services
ECE uses equipment, materials, and services through our educational and research programs. Typical examples:
- Materials and devices for student projects
- Software and devices for courses
- Equipment, software, and devices for research efforts
If your organization is interested in donating any of these "gifts in kind," please contact the ECE Business Manager, Kathy Atkins or (540) 231-4136.