William T. Baumann
Mailing Address:302 Whittemore (0111)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
(540) 231-4446 (540) 231-3362 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, 1985M.S.E.E., M.I.T., 1980B.S.E.E., Lehigh University, 1978
Classical and modern control system design, microprocessor systems, system identification, electronics
Computational Biology, Biomedical Applications, Control. Recent work involves dynamic modeling of biological systems. One project involves modeling breast cancer cells to understand how they become resistant to therapy. Another project involves stochastic modeling of the yeast cell cycle to produce a more accurate model of this important system as well as to understand the impact of molecular noise on cell cycle progression.
Grants and Projects:
- Stochastic Models of Cell Cycle Regulation, NIH, 2006-2014, with J. Tyson, Y. Cao, C. Shaffer, and J. Peccoud.
- ER-Related Activities Affect Breast Cancer Susceptibility and Responsiveness to Endocrine Therapy, NIH, Cancer Systems Biology Center, 2010-2015. PI: Robert Clarke, Georgetown University Medical Center.
- Computational Biology
- Title: Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress, the Unfolded Protein Response, Autophagy, and the Integrated Regulation of Breast Cancer Cell FateAuthor(s): Robert Clarke, Katherine L. Cook, et al.Journal: Cancer Research, 1321-31, March, 2012
- Title: Dynamic Modeling of Estrogen Signaling and Cell Fate in Breast Cancer CellsAuthor(s): J. J. Tyson, W. T. Baumann, et. al.Journal: Nature Reviews Cancer, 523-532, July, 2011
- Title: Stochastic Exit from Mitosis in Budding Yeast: Model Predictions and Experimental ObservationsAuthor(s): D. A. Ball, T.-H. Ahn, P. Wang, K. C. Chen, Y. Cao, J. J. Tyson, J. Peccoud, and W. T. BaumannJournal: Cell Cycle, 999-1009, March, 2011
- Title: A Model of Yeast Cell Cycle Regulation Based on Multisite PhosphorylationAuthor(s): D. Barik, W. Baumann, M. Paul, and J. TysonJournal: Molecular Systems Biology, August, 2010
- Thermo-Acoustic Instability
- Title: Pulsed Control of Thermo-Acoustic Instabilities: Analysis and ExperimentAuthor(s): J.M. Carson, W. T. Baumann, and W.R. SaundersJournal: Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, 1-7, July, 2009
- Title: Characteristic Linear Dynamics of Kinetically Controlled BurningAuthor(s): C. Martin, J. Ranalli, U. Vandsburger, and W. BaumannJournal: Combustion Theory and Modeling, 921-946, December, 2009